Sunday, March 29, 2009

The unpardonable sin of Home Schooling

Yes. It's true folks. I commit the unpardonable sin of home schooling. Someday, maybe the head home school people will forgive me, maybe not. And who are these people in charge? Oh yeah, it's us. We're in charge of our home schools.
What is could possibly be so bad that it is unpardonable? Well, I'll tell you. But you have to promise not to hold it against me. Promise not to think, 'well she's obviously not a real home schooler' Because I try! I really do!
OK, are you ready for this? Are you sitting down? OK...here goes...I do NOT utilize the library.
I KNOW!! Pretty bad, huh? Pick yourselves up off the floor. Stop hyperventilating and just hear me out.
I'm intimidated by the library. While I was thinking about this post I was trying to put my finger on what it is that scares me. It comes down to one thing.
One rule. A rule that was so ingrained into my mind as a child that I am terrified to break it.
QUIET IN THE LIBRARY
PEOPLE! Have you any idea how hard it is to keep a 2 year old silent? Or a 5 and 7 year old who always feel the need to giggle uncontrollably until they are laughing big guffaws?
I hear of people who take their kids to "preschool story time" and while it sounds all nice and sweet, it is pretty complicated for people like us who don't just have a preschooler.
And so, I avoid the library. I'd much rather fork over our hard earned money to buy the darn book than to go through the hassle of the library.
Now, in my defense, when we moved here, I actually got excited about the library. I mean, San Antonio. It's huge, surely the library is great. Well the one near our old house was far from great. I even got us library cards, but hated the library.
But now. Now things have to change. The time has come. Matthew has to do a report on the capital of Texas (Austin in case you had forgotten!). His lesson went all into depth about checking out reference books and finding them at the library. So now I feel as though we must go. It wouldn't be the same to just google the info. I know I need to expose my kids to the library more. I know this. And I will.
I heard of a good library. It happens to be the library on base. I actually went in there a couple weeks ago in search of tax forms. It certainly doesn't look kid friendly, but hey..no late fees!
Tomorrow is the day. I'll trudge into the library, and perhaps my sins will finally be forgiven!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...