Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dusting off the cobwebs

Once again, I've fallen off the blogging bandwagon. I don't know how I've managed to keep up a blog for almost ten years now..it's mind boggling to me.
So much has happened since the last time we spoke.
The big one is that Matthew had surgery. Surgery number ten, in case you're keeping count. The morning of surgery, I got a little teary eyed and asked Matt how this became our life. His answer, "because we are blessed". We'll blame my moment of weakness on hormones.
You can blame almost anything on pregnancy hormones, I've found.
So the surgery was kind of hard to explain, and I don't really feel like it, SO, I'll just tell you that is was a laser surgery that reduced the amount of fluid being produced in his eye. Thus, reducing the amount of pressure. His pressure was insanely low the day after surgery, but since then he has complained of pressure pain, and well, I'm not so hopeful anymore. He goes tomorrow for another follow up. We were told, however, that his pressure would spike for a month, and then go down, so maybe it's just spiking. We'll see.
Let me take this moment to tell you one of my pet peeves. I hate it when people (particularly those with a bit of medical knowledge) feel the need to tell me what we need to do for Matthew. Or how things could be improved. Or how there must be some way to get his vision back. You don't know the first thing about Matthew's eye. The doctors don't know much about Matthew's eye. You haven't been following him for the last 13 years and you don't know what's best for him. We, as his parents, are confident in his care, even if it doesn't seem to produce the ideal results. I am not dumb, nor is Matt. And my own dad is an ophthalmologist, so all of this is much more familiar to me than it would be your average Jane!
OK, stepping off my soap box now.
In other news, the boys all got parts in the play they are doing this year. Excalibur! It isn't your typical play though, so it would do me no good to tell you what parts they got because you wouldn't know who they were. Matthew got a pretty large role though, and I worry about him being dedicated enough to memorize his lines. I'm sure he'll be fine though. Dillon got a smaller role.
Collin and Zachary will be a tree and then knights who fight in the tournament. They are thrilled to not have to speak and to be able to sword fight. All's well.
Today, we started school. It went really well, and as usual, I'm thinking this will be the best year ever. This afternoon though, I'm exhausted. Oh well, this too shall pass.
Let's see, what else? Nothing that I can think of. And this is long anyway. Until the next time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...