Friday, April 4, 2008

The nurse at the ER

Did I mention that I hurt my knee? I can't remember. And I'm too lazy to look back. I'm stealing a moment to blog, so don't want to waste any time.
At any rate, I hurt my knee. Turns out I sprained it. I know this because I went to the doctor yesterday. Only not really the doctor, but the ER. Because when you have anything other than a routine appointment, it is impossible to see your doctor. And so, I have spent a bunch of time in the ER here. More than in my whole life.
OK, so it's sprained. I can start my program back up when it's healed, in 3-6 weeks. Huge bummer, because I was really enjoying myself.
That's not the point of this post though.
Matt came and sat with me between seeing patients. Of course, when it was time for my x-ray, he had a patient. So I had all the kids with me. What to do?
A wonderful nurse said I could bring them all with me and she would keep an eye on them. On the way back, we talked, and she told me she had 8 kids. Lucky lady! Four boys and four girls!
She was playing with Emily and said, "oh my, you're giving me baby fever" But she sounded so sad. I asked if they'd be having anymore. She told me that no, she had had her tubes tied. She told me she had cried and cried and wished she never did it.
My heart broke in a million pieces for her. I cannot imagine that pain. Some people may think she has had enough, and good for her for tying her tubes, but not me. I just feel for her.
I don't ever want to feel like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am always fascinated by the amount of children people have. When you wrote the nurse had eight and would probably want more, but couldn't, all I could think was more power to her...and then I think how does a family that large go anywhere?
We are thinking about having a third and I know I shouldn't worry about it because God gives us what we can handle. I hope your knee is feeling better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...